The Office of the Supreme Leader

Marriage in 'Iddah

Question: A woman has been living away from her husband for more than a year after marriage due to a dispute with her husband and will soon be divorced, can she marry another man in the current situation or immediately after the divorce by reciting the special formula of temporary or permanent marriage?
Answer: The marriage contract with another person is void unless the formula of divorce is read observing its terms and the woman has completed the 'iddah of divorce. The period of 'iddah is calculated from the time the formula of divorce is recited, even though the man and woman have been away from each other for one year.
700 /