The Office of the Supreme Leader

How to Compensate for Backbiting

Question: If we have talked about a person in his absence so that it is considered as ghībah, can we compensate for it by giving him the reward of recommended and obligatory deeds?
Answer: Gifting him the said reward is not enough. Rather, if he is alive and it is possible to ask him to forgive you, you should do so. However, if he is not alive or it is not possible to ask him for forgiveness, ask Allah for his forgiveness.
700 /